Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Donald Glover Maintains Pop Culture Dominance

Glover is set to star in the new Spiderman film, as well as an animated Deadpool series.

Photo courtesy of pitchfork.com

Photo courtesy of pitchfork.com

Jonathan Manjarrez, Staff Writer

Late last year was when Donald Glover popped back into the epicenter of entertainment in society. Glover has been making huge moves since the show he created, Atlanta, debuted on FX Network.

Since Atlanta debuted, Glover has won two Golden Globes for his hit show and landed huge acting roles. Glover is slated to star in the new Lion King movie as the voice of Simba. The new film will serve as a live action remake directed by Jon Favreau and expected to release in July 2019.

Glover is also set to star in the new installment of the Spider- Man franchise. Glover joins the very diverse cast for Spider Man: Homecoming and it is uncertain which character he is portraying in the franchise. The new installment is set to release in July of this year.

Glover also landed a huge role in the new Han Solo Star Wars prequel as Lando Carlissian. The new Star Wars movie is a prequel to the original seven episodes and is centered around the character Han Solo. The film will follow Han Solo and detail how he embarked on his journey in the original Star Wars films and attained his famous Millennium Falcon and is expected to release in December 2018.

On top of all his acting accolades, Glover hosted his very private and mystical show for his new album, “Awaken, My Love!” in Joshua Tree, California. Glover’s show was ground breaking due to the fact that he teamed up with computer giant, Microsoft and was the first artist to bring his concert to virtual reality giving viewers a first hand experience of the concert which is expected to be released later this month. The song, “Redbone”, off his new album is his highest selling single to date.

The latest addition to Glover’s achievements is FXX Network announced that Glover will team up with his brother to bring an animated version of Deadpool to television.

Nick Grad, co-president of original programming at FX networks, said about the show, “Donald Glover is an incredibly gifted and versatile artist who’ll bring the untitled Marvel’s Deadpool series to life with the same intense, singular vision as his breakout hit Atlanta. With the success of Legion, we’re looking forward to again partnering with Marvel Television to create a series that is bold, striking and entirely original.”

Glover is paving the way for the way artist should be and is embodying the idea of what it means to be a renaissance man.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •