Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Five Nights at Freddy’s: Worth The Hype?

Photo Credit: Robert Jimenez
Movie poster for Five Nights at Freddy’s which was just released on October 27th.

The new Blumhouse movie “Five Nights at Freddy’s” was just released on Friday October 27th. The movie is based off of the video game of the same name created by Scott Cawthon that took the world by storm by its creative and horrifying elements and story lines. The video game has now been adapted into a full length film and fans have been going crazy for it. Now that it is finally out, did it live up to its expectations?

Was It Even a Horror Movie?

The film was categorized as a horror movie but it felt more like a thriller instead. Since the movie has a PG-13 rating, a lot of the elements that make a horror movie were missing. 

“It honestly did not feel like a horror movie,” said Joseph Ochoa. “They could’ve put a lot more jump scares and the ones that they did have were very expected or not scary”.

The movie could also have added in some more gore but it had very little because of the rating. The fact that there were many children that watched the movie also contributed to the lack of horror.

Storyline and Fan Reactions

The storyline of the movie had a very smooth flow to it. It was very easy to understand the main concept and story structure of the film, especially for people who knew nothing about this franchise beforehand.

“There were very very few times where I was confused about what was going on during the movie”, said Karen Melendrez.

What made the movie so special and what made it stand out is that it was targeted for the fans. Cawthon wanted to make this movie specifically for the fans to love and enjoy. The film implemented many easter eggs and had special surprises that made the fans go crazy with excitement.

“I felt like a kid again watching this movie,” said James Gallardo. “It was like a love letter written to fans of the game”.

The movie was a great movie for the fans of the game to enjoy. It did a good job in bringing over many elements of the game that fans loved into the movie.

The horror aspect of the movie was expected to be better, however it did a good job given the rating that it had.