El Paisano

LAFC Tie After Taking Lead for Second Time in Three Matches

Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) remain unbeaten at Banc of California Stadium after a 2-2 draw against New York City Football Club (NYCFC) May 13.

The tie against the Eastern Conference opponent meant six in a row without losing for the Black and Gold. But it also meant the second of three games where LAFC took a lead only to relinquish it.

Carlos Vela’s first goal at home gave LAFC the lead and put them in pole position to take three points. But NYCFC substitute Ishmael Tajouri had other plans when his 75th minute equalizer earned the traveling side a point.

NYCFC manager Patrick Vieira shunned his shine with that player swop. The French manager used his first substitution by changing left-sided defender Ben Sweat for attacking midfielder Tajouri at 69 minutes. The exchange was rewarded six minutes later when Tajouri scored.

Right back Anton Tinnerholm’s burst into the LAFC box ended with a cross which LAFC left back Steven Beitashour managed to deflect. But the ricochet only to make it harder on goalkeeper Tyler Miller.

Miller was forced into a one-handed, back-diving save which was parried as far as an oncoming Tajouri. The NYCFC attacker then swept the ball off the bar and past the goal line to square the score.

Spaniard superstar David Villa opened the scoring in the 13th minute for the Cityzens. Video Assistant Refereeing (VAR) rewarded NYCFC a penalty in the 12th minute after a handball in the box went unseen. Referee Chris Penso then felt the replay proved enough to overturn the no-call.

Villa stepped up to take the shot but saw it saved when Miller warded off his second penalty of the year. But just like the first one against Real Salt Lake two months ago, Miller’s rebound favored the kick-taker who scored the second opportunity.

The two NYCFC goals sandwiched a Sebastien Ibeagha own goal for LAFC’s first at minute 23 then Vela’s go-ahead. With the draw, LAFC remain second in points in the Western Conference with 20. The Cityzens (21 points) fell to third place in the East after going into the match against LAFC no. 2 as well.

• LAFC end its first-ever home stand 2-2-0 and go back on the road on Saturday, May 19. They’ll face Portland Timbers at an always hostile Providence Park.
  • LAFC haven’t lost since visiting first-place Atlanta United in early April. They look to keep it that way with a disturbed June looming.
  • The FIFA World Cup begins June 14 which means at least a handful of star players will be participating for their countries in the tournament held in Russia. The hands of LAFC manager Bob Bradley will be full with this squad dilemma.

• 10
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    10
    Shares
About the Contributors
Ignacio Cervantes, Reporter

Aaron Martinez, Managing Editor
Aaron Martinez is a student at Rio Hondo College his major is photography and his minor is journalism. Martinez was born and raised in Mexico, he immigrated to the US when he was 10 years old. His passion for photography has taken Martinez to pursue a career in photojournalism. As a photographer he wants to...