Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

English Premier League Review

There was a shift at the top of the Barclays Premier League table as league leaders, Arsenal, were heavily defeated, 5-1, at the hands of Liverpool, in a game that saw the gunners concede four goals in the opening 20 minutes.

Martin Skrtel opened up the scoring in the first minute, as he poked-in Steven Gerrard’s free kick from just six yards out.  Skrtel would double his goal-tally just nine minutes later as he headed home Gerrard’s corner with just ten minutes played.

Raheem Sterling scored Liverpool’s third goal on a counter-attack minutes after Suarez hit the post on a powerful volley from outside the box.  Sturridge scored the fourth, which left the Arsenal fans beaming with embarrassment.

Sterling would make it, 5-0, in the 52 minute before Mikel Arteta got a consolation goal for Arsenal with just over twenty minutes left to play.  A stunning display from Liverpool at Anfield moved them closer to the top of the league just five points behind Arsenal.

Story continues below advertisement

Chelsea moved to the top of the table, as they comfortably defeated Newcastle United, 3-0, at Stamford Bridge.  Eden Hazard got his hat trick once he converted a second-half penalty after striker Samuel Eto’o was brought down by Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa on a corner.

Manchester City could not capitalize on the gunners defeat, as they failed to grab all three points and head to the top of the Premier League table.

Manchester City were left frustrated at Carrow Road against Norwich, having failed to score in their second straight game.  They enjoyed 68 percent of the possession and had 15 shots, but only two on goal.

Emmanuel Adebayor grabbed the winner for Tottenham as they defeated Everton, 1-0, at White Hart Lane.  Tim Sherwood, Tottenham manager, improved his league record to an impressive six wins, two draws and one loss since taking over the club after the sacking of then manager Andres Villas Boas.

Manchester United were left to wonder what could have been, again, as Darren Bent’s last minute goal secured Fulham a draw against the defending champs at Old Trafford.

The red devils were in control the entire match having 75 percent of the possession, 31 shots (9 of those on goal), and driving in 82 crosses yet scoring from none of them.

Steve Sidwell scored Fulham’s first goal, set up by Lewis Holtby, as he took advantage of a defensive mistake by United’s midfield in the 19 minute.  Holtby did well in finding Sidwell, after Sidwell sneaked into the penalty area unmarked, and guided Holtby’s pass into the back of the net.

United kept the pressure on Fulham, constantly sending in crosses that both of Fulham’s center backs, John Heitinga and Dan Burn, did well in clearing out.  Robin Van Persie managed to get the champions leveled as he met Juan Mata’s corner at the far post and hit it home, for United’s first goal.  About 90 seconds later, Michael Carrick hit a shot that deflected off of Scott Parker and into the back of the net.

United found themselves on top with just 10 minutes left of regular time.  The fourth official’s sign read five minutes of injury time, which proved to be too much for the home team as Old Trafford stood stunned when Darren Bent equalized in the fourth minute of added time.

Leave a Comment

Comments (0)

All comments are subject to review.
All El Paisano Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest