Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Black Scholars Program: Empowering Students To Excel Every Day

Photo Credit: Samantha Marin
The Dreamer’s Resource Center where the Black Scholars Program is currently located.

The Black Scholars Program at Rio Hondo College is a support service that is specialized for black students to make their academic journey more successful.

“The main focus of the program is to serve our black scholars here at Rio Hondo College. Our goal is to help students achieve their academic goals”, said Azalia Gonzalez, a Student Services Assistant for the Educational Justice Programs at Rio Hondo.

What The Program Provides

The Black Scholars Program offers many resources for Black students such as individualized counseling and interventions. The program also offers free school supplies and students are able to stop by for free food and snacks.

The program also provides students with things such as meal vouchers and book vouchers to help support student aid. 

“It’s based on availability but if students come by, they participate, they show that they’re interested in being part of the program and they’re asking for those resources, then we will try our best to make those available to them”, said Gonzalez.

Their Goal

The Black Scholars Program is also focused on creating a community for students in the program. They host community events to give students a chance to get to know others in the program as well as to gain better relations with the staff. The program is hoping to open a new center for Black Scholars this summer and will be located in LR-130.

“I think having somewhere to go is nice. Somewhere to be, a place to study, a place to ask questions, is always a plus,” said Gonzalez. “We want them to find a place where they can feel supported in their journey through academia”.

The programs, as well as other educational justice programs, goal is to make students feel more welcomed in their community. This helps students to feel wanted and encourages them participate in different events. This also helps them to find somewhere they want to be.

If you are interested in joining the Black Scholars Program, you can contact them using the email [email protected]. If you would like to learn more, the program is are currently located in the Dreamers Resource Center in LR-105.