Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

A Look Into What Careers Await You After College

Rio Hondo to Host its Annual Job and Internship Fair
Students and employers at job and internship fair at Rio Hondo College.

Tuesday, Sep. 12th, Rio Hondo College had its popular and highly anticipated Job and Internship Fair. This fair is one of Rio Hondo’s biggest events during the year. This fair has numerous companies, nonprofits, and organizations come to campus and speak with students. 

Over 70 different employers from various different career fields were in attendance at this semester’s fair. Some of which include Ford Motor Company, the Boys and Girls Club of Whittier, California Highway Patrol and more.

What Do Students Think About This Fair?

The job and internship fair is an event that many students look forward to every semester.

“They give you a lot of opportunities in one area and it gives us time to stop by and apply for things and see where they’re hiring,” Jennifer [last name not listed], a second year student at Rio Hondo said. 

There are roughly over 200 students in attendance each semester, and this one was no different.

The Main Goal Of The Fair

The main purpose of the event is giving students the opportunity to connect with different companies and organizations in areas that they have an interest in. Additionally it helps them explore different career areas that they may find exciting.

Christine Waugh, a RHC career counselor, said, “It’s helping our students at Rio Hondo College get connected for real jobs.

What Employers Are Looking For From Students

Most of these employers are looking for fresh and creative minds that can enhance their companies. “It’s very important and very crucial to bring in new minds that can teach us,” said Priscilla [last name not listed], from the City of Whittier. 

Also, many of the employers look to help students grow as workers and as people. They want to see them flourish in what they do. 

“We are all about internal growth and we are all about getting you set up for anything outside of work too,” said Cha Cha [last name not listed], from the Disney Corporation.

The fair gives students a chance to branch out and learn about different careers they have not thought about before.

Students who missed the Job and Internship Fair, don’t fret, this fair happens every semester in the upper quad. The next fair will be sometime at the beginning of the Spring semester so keep an eye out for the date.