Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Students Speak: RHC Parking Permits

Photo Credit: Victoria Ortiz
One of the many signs around Rio parking lots that prohibit parking in certain areas.

Rio Hondo College has started enforcing parking permits again this fall semester. If you wish to park in the lots at Rio Hondo, you must now purchase a parking permit. Daily permits are $3 and semester permits cost $40. Students can purchase daily permits from the information booth in lot 2. There are permit kiosks in each lot, however, they are out of order. For students who are unaware, obtaining a pass for the day could be very time consuming. Purchasing permits for the semester is  suggested. However, this is not always an option for students who are facing financial hardships.

Parking was free for Rio Hondo students following the campus’ reopening after the covid closure. Many students are not happy about having to pay for parking again. Finding an available space to park is hard to come by on a busy school day. Student, Angelina Childs, says she bought the semester permit but she also says “[Parking] is crazy. I get here at six [am] and by 7, it’s packed.” Frustrated students can be seen circling the lots desperate to find a spot before their classes start. Student,Enrique Rivas says “The first three weeks, good luck finding any parking.” Rivas says he parks in the A lot which is the largest student lot Rio Hondo has to offer. Rivas adds, “During peak school hours, like around 10-11, it’s hard to find a spot there”.

Many students have expressed that the school needs a vertical parking structure where more parking could be offered. Students said if parking was more convenient they wouldn’t mind paying.