El Paisano

Rio Baseball Goes 1-2 in Series vs Chaffey

Noah Garcia/El Paisano News

Rio Hondo’s baseball squad went 1-2 in their three-game series against the Chaffey Panthers last week. The Roadrunners now head into their last two series of the year against Mt. SAC and Pasadena City.

It was a tough start to the week for the Roadrunners. They lost to the Panthers Tuesday, April 10 and Thursday, the 12.

The Roadrunners finally prevailed in the third and final game of the series this past Saturday, April 14. Rio was able to score three runs in each of the first two innings, and that proved to be enough as they held on for the 6-5 win.

Catcher Steven Mendoza and shortstop Tony Rosario carried Rio Hondo to victory at Chaffey Saturday afternoon. Both Mendoza and Rosario batted 2-5 while driving in a couple of runs each.

The Roadrunner squad now has a record of 12-20 heading into their final six games of the year. They’ll have a three-game series against Mt. SAC this week, then have a trio of games against Pasadena City College next week to finish the season.

Rio’s series against Mt. SAC begins Tuesday, April 17 at The Jungle at Rio Hondo, with the first pitch set to be thrown at 2:30 p.m.

Mt. SAC is currently standing atop the South Coast Conference with a 25-9 record. With only three conference losses for Mt. SAC and 11 for Rio Hondo, the Mounties and Roadrunners have been trending in opposite directions.

The Roadrunners are looking to end the season on a high note, though. They’ll be looking to build some positives for next year’s returners to lean on, and the sophomores will be looking to finish their careers strong.

•  
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    4
    Shares
About the Writer
Ramon Alvarado, Editor in Chief
Ramon is Editor in Chief for El Paisano. He loves watching and playing sports, listening to music, as well as producing it. In his free time, when he’s not catching up with his favorite sports teams, he enjoys making hip-hop beats on his laptop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MJW_rFWQu0