Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

5th Annual ‘A Taste of Rio’ Continues to Raise Funds for Students at Rio Hondo

Superintendent Teresa Dreyfuss and California Senator of the 32nd District Tony Mendoza attend 'A Taste of Rio' Friday, April 28.

Photo by Alex Rodriguez/ El Paisano

Photo by Alex Rodriguez/ El Paisano

Noah Garcia, Opinion Editor

A Taste of Rio, a yearly event where members of the community pledge themselves to the enjoyment of food, drink and the promise of a future for Rio Hondo students. This year’s sold out event had a mix of local restaurants, silent auctions and celebrity guests including Senator Tony Mendoza and Teresa Dreyfuss.  

Aside from such contributors as Lagunitas brewing company, Doubletree, Lift Coffee Roasters, Seta, and California Grill, the event featured the mariachi stylies of the Trio Renacimiento, whose light latin sounds entertained everyone for most of the night. The food was completely fantastic, with each of the 18+ businesses contributing the best food and drink they could possibly offer.

“There’s so much going on in Rio Hondo right now… Based on what I’m seeing and experiencing, Rio Hondo has a close knit family and most of all, the benefit here is going to be the students,” said Mendoza.

Pertaining to the benefit of the students is the foundation being funded. The most prominent way to contribute to the event was the Fund-a-Scholarship Drawing. With $100 donation price of a ticket, the entirety of the profit goes toward the Rio Hondo College Foundation Scholarship support for first year students and transfer students.  The foundation has given out 150 awards, containing 100,000 dollars in scholarships.

“The foundation staff actually trains students on how to apply for the scholarships. One of the most important things they should know is that there’s a writing section… All scholarships are available to all students, you just have to apply, we don’t go to you,” said Executive director of the RHC Foundation, Howard Kummerman. Kummerman went into greater details on the scholarships on their application processes.

“We really want every student to excel in their direction. Every job, whether you’re a teacher or a senator, it’s about this place helping you find your passion, which is what rio hondo is really all about.”

Student trustee member Brandon Pablo Leon discussed how the event has literally helped him in the past. “This is a great event, students really benefit from this, I’ve gotten scholarships from this so I know for me it really helped me get by.”

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •