Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Water Polo fails to stay afloat at El Camino

The Rio Hondo College Women’s Water Polo team entered into El Camino College Sept. 20 with a victory in the palm of their hands, but the Warriors squad crept up at the end to take the game from the Roadrunners 9 – 6.

Led by Kelci Carcamo’s onslaught of four goals, the Lady Roadrunners were in a position to make a statement in their first game at the El Camino tournament.

The Warriors defense wouldn’t let up, with Arlene Alvarado coming up with a game high five steals.

The score was close early on, with El Camino taking a 3 – 2 lead going into the second break after a pair of long distance shots were successfully converted.

On the first possession of the third quarter, the Warriors attempted a weak throw in which was easily defended by Rio’s goalkeeper, Kelley-Jo Shain, who had nine saves in the game out performing ECC’s goalkeeper.

After a strong showing on defense, the Roadrunners behind Carcamo returned on offense determined to score and did so twice in a row.

Rio came up with a two point lead when Julissa Diaz converted one of her two strong scoring attempts.

The Warriors were consistent with their shot attempts, most of which coming at point blank range, but Shain wouldn’t relinquish the lead easily.  Eventually though she was not able to hold off the constant shot attempts and ECC approached Rio’s lead by coming within one point entering into the final quarter.

Again, the Lady Roadrunners showed strong defensive presence to begin a quarter but their offensive possessions did not result in any points.

After a multiple of shots were unsuccessful, the Warriors finally tied the game up at 6 – 6.

Freshman for El Camino, Lauren Gottschalk scored giving the Warriors the lead, which they would never give up

Rio had their work cut out from the beginning considering they had 10 players ready to play compared to El Camino’s 13, but due to a multiple of breakdowns on both sides of the pool they couldn’t hold onto their slim lead entering the final quarter.

The rest of the match didn’t bid well for RHC, they lost to undefeated Los Angeles Valley College, 23-6, Julissa Diaz led RHC with six goals and Shain had eight saves.

Rio also lost to Santa Monica College,  12-5. Carcamo leads the RHC squad right now  with 14 goals and eight steals this season. Today and tomorrow, Rio will play at the Mt. Sac invitational all day and next week will face off again with El Camino and Los Angeles Valley. Both games are away and on Oct. 3 and Oct 4, respectively.

[nggallery id=21]