• Oct 4, 12:00 amFollow us on your favorite Social Media!

El Paisano

Millennials Are Saying They Are Too Busy to Have Sex

Back to Article
Back to Article

A potential reason why younger generartions are lacking an inactive sex life is we’re just too busy. (Photo by Erika Suarez)

Vincent Franco, Reporter

Studies Show Decreased Desire

Going through a dry spell? Keep striking out? Don’t feel alone, apparently, the entire millennial generation is going through the same and that’s according to science.

A new study conducted at San Diego State University, published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, looked at over 26,000 Americans’ sexual behaviors dating back to 1989. They found that couples living together had sex 16 fewer times per year in 2010-2014 compared to 2000-2004.

Overall, Americans have had sex 9 times fewer per year in 2010-2014 compared to 1995-1999.

Lead author of the study and Psychology Professor at San Diego State Jean M. Twenge explained in his book “Generation Me” that Millennials have the least amount of sex when compared to others.  

Even with sex being less taboo compared to the past, the amount of frequent sex Millennials are having isn’t as high as you would think.

Not Just a Millenial Problem

“Despite their reputation for hooking up, Millennials and the generation after them (known as iGen or Generation Z) are actually having sex less often than their parents and grandparents did when they were young,” says Twenge. “That’s partially because fewer iGen’ers and Millennials have steady partners.”

What this means is unless you’re involved in serious relationship chances are you’re not getting any action. 

The Atlantic’s piece called “Why Are Young People Having So Little Sex?” explains that college pressure and the fact of being too busy is affecting young adults sex lives.

Millennials also seem to be insecure in their own skin which is holding them back from having sex. 

Jonah Disend, founder of the branding consultancy Redscout says to Bloomberg, “Millennials don’t like to get naked. If you go to the gym now, everyone under 30 will put their underwear on under the towel, which is a massive cultural shift.”

Perhaps it’s not just the Millennials, Generation X, iGen’ers, but everyone is collectively going through some type of dry spell or doing other things they find fulfilling and that’s okay.

A print version of this article appeared on Tuesday, Nov. 6. An editor adjusted this article for the purpose of an online publication.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •