El Paisano

Men’s Beauty in not Homosexual: South Korea Embraces It

Men can be pretty too.

Youtube+Vlogger+Kim+Seung-hwan+explains+to+BBC+in+a+video+interview%2C+why+he+uses+make-up+to+look+good.+
Youtube Vlogger Kim Seung-hwan explains to BBC in a video interview, why he uses make-up to look good.

BBC

BBC

Erika Suarez, Online Editor-in-Chief

Westerners have their fair share of K-Pop and Korean dramas. And men can possibly transition to a beauty culture like South Korea.

It’s common to see South Korean men walking down a street with a face full of BB Cream, concealer, or any related skin care product. Partly influenced by K-Idol’s (Korean Pop Artists) flawless baby skin. Who wouldn’t want their face looking like that?

When people think make-up, they might have drag-queen status running through their mind. And it’s not to that extent. The Make-up Korean men use, is fairly light and you can hardly notice. Most Importantly, they own it. It does come with its advantages like boosting self-esteem and it brings in confidence.

“I started to get pimples on my face in ninth grade. I tried to cover them up, but it would cost a lot for a student like me to receive treatment in a Dermatology clinic. Then I found out about cosmetic products. There was a drastic change in my skin after using these products,” says Youtuber Kim Seung-hwan in an interview with BBC.

The delicate topic questions masculinity of course, but a Co-Worker I call Luis Sanchez, frankly disagrees. Sanchez says, “Honestly, I’m just really big on self-care, I don’t see it as a feminine thing.” He believes a skin-care routine is important and something others dismiss.

Sanchez adds by saying, “I used to have bad acne in high school and I always wanted to get rid of it, so my friend Aly put me on a skin care routine. Not only did I notice a major difference, people started complimenting my skin.”

Mud Masks and moisturizing can surprisingly make your face happy. Aside from the questionable masculinity, it can help your skin in the long run.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •