Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo Celebrates 60th Year Anniversary

Rio Hondo hosted the 60th anniversary celebration. On Friday, September 15 community members joined in on the celebration. This event gave the community the opportunity to look back at not only the great achievements of the college. Since 1963, Rio Hondo has been “a testament to dedication and progress” President & Superintendent Marilyn Flores said.

From 9:30 AM until 8:00 PM many enjoyed a day full of live entertainment, food, games along with activities. The festivities hosted by Rio Hondo were provided for free for all to enjoy. Food catered by businesses such as Camilia’s Tacos, Cortina’s Italian, NORMS and more were also available at no cost. A series of performances took place. Mariachi, Folklórico, Choir, Native American and more took place during each hour of the event. 

Native American group, Red Boy Production, performed and presented their music and culture to guests. Lupe Lopez, member of Red Boy Production, said, “I want to thank the president, superintendent and activities director and all involved for inviting us.” “Native American groups are often left out of events so I am grateful that we were able to educate the people on what we do” said Lopez. 

Students of programs such as Career and Technical Education, Associated Students, the Honors Transfer Program and others proudly showcased their organizations. “These programs contribute a lot when it comes to making Rio Hondo a community that is for everyone as well as providing resources to students” said AS senator, Hesma Valdes.  

Rio Hondo serves several local areas. South Whittier, Santa Fe Springs, Pico Rivera and El Monte, are all served by Rio Hondo. The college creates and allows a unique community to come together each school year. “We are a single college district which gives us the ability to explore opportunities more easily,” Michael Slavich, CTE Dean said. 

“When they say ‘Rio Hondo cares,’ the faculty and staff really do here” “There has been a really great community built not just among students but faculty as a whole” said 15 year ceramics professor Robert Miller.

The dedication speaks for itself. Rio would not have the impact it does without faculty. Dedication has played a big role for staff. 

This milestone shines a light on the hard work put in by administration to make the school welcoming for all. Alexandra Zuniga, student trustee, said, “It is important to recognize the progress made when it comes to providing an equitable and inclusive environment since Rio Hondo’s original founding” 

The 60th anniversary showed how strong the Rio Hondo community is as many came together to celebrate one big achievement. “Rio will keep on going, there is more growth to come for Rio Hondo,” AS President Kal El, said. 

Rio Hondo will continue to keep progressing. They will continue to provide a positive environment filled with growth and prosperity for all current and future roadrunners.