• Oct 4, 12:00 amFollow us on your favorite Social Media!

El Paisano

Farewell to Executive Dean of Counseling, Dr. Mike Munoz

Back to Article
Back to Article

The goodbye speeches drew some emotion, but Dr. Muñoz was all smiles for most of his farewell party.

James Spencer

James Spencer

James Spencer

Olivia Venegas, Opinion and Lifestyles Editor

Dr. Mike Munoz, Executive Dean of Counseling and Student services said farewell to Rio Hondo College May 10. Munoz is leaving Rio Hondo after 11 years to become Long Beach City College’s new Vice President of Student Support Services.

“This opportunity was a professional growth opportunity and I allowed myself to be open to it,” commented Munoz.

The event took place in the Board Room, where faculty and students came to congratulate and say goodbye to their beloved Dean of Counseling. Snacks and drinks were provided along with two goodbye cakes dedicated to Dr. Munoz.

Superintendent/President Teresa Dreyfuss presented Munoz with a plaque for his many years of excellence and dedications to students, it stated “Congratulation Dr. Mike Munoz Executive Dean of Counseling and Student Equity. For your dedication, enthusiasm, cooperation and hard work. For always going above and beyond.”

Munoz took the podium to thank his fellow faculty, Rio Hondo College, but most importantly Senior Secretary/Counseling and Student Services Veronica Rodriguez.

“I am just so thankful to have worked with you these past five years.” Munoz later went on to say “My success is a large part because of you, so thank you.”

After Munoz said his heartfelt goodbye, Counselor Mary Rivera took the podium to share her emotional speech about him. Rivera acknowledged Munoz as a friend, colleague, but most importantly as a great listener.

“He has brought so much to our division and I’d like to think we had a lot to do with his growth. We challenged and he listened.” Rivera added about her colleague, “He has a big heart, he has ambition but mostly he’s a great listener. And I am going to miss the hell out of him.”

After the teary-eyed speeches were done, Munoz went around the room talking and hugging his colleagues and grateful students.

The event went on for two more hours as an opportunity for faculty and students to say their goodbyes while enjoying crispy wings with the Executive Dean of Counseling.

Munoz dedicated his time and efforts to the Rio Hondo students with welcome and support, Long Beach City College will be lucky to have him.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •