Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rio Hondo Motivates Students with Workshop

Photo Credit: Samantha Marin
Rio Hondo Student Success Coach Brianna Perez giving tips to students on how to be more motivated.

The Rio Hondo Student Success Center held a Motivation workshop for students on Tuesday October 17th. The workshop focused on why motivation is important to have and gave tips on how to gain more of it.

What Is Motivation And Why Is It Important?

Motivation is an internal state of mind that pushes people to engage in goal-directed behavior. It plays an important role in one’s future success.

“I think motivation is very important because it’s ultimately what pushes you to do better,” said Brianna Perez, a Student Success Coach at Rio Hondo. “It’s important to have because I feel like if you don’t have it then it’s really hard to accomplish things”.

Why is motivation an important thing for students to have?

“I think it’s just being able to help them stay motivated to keep on going,” said Perez. “It keeps you pushing, keeps you pursuing what you want to pursue so you can reach your end goal”.

What Can Help Student Gain More Motivation?

The workshop gave many tips and advice on how to stay motivated when you are feeling exhausted and drained. One of these tips include starting with small goals. 

Perez explained that many times, we set goals for ourselves that are too big to complete. This can cause us to lose motivation and give up on that goal. She advised that a good way to keep from losing motivation is by setting up smaller goals and build up to the main goal.

Another tip she gave was rewarding yourself. She explained that giving yourself rewards for completing little tasks related to your goal can encourage you to stay motivated.

How The Workshop Is Beneficial

How does this workshop benefit students? 

“I think it just helps them be able to see the different ways that you can remain motivated,” said Perez. “I feel like a lot of students maybe just fixate on one way to keep them motivated but there’s really a variety of ways and I think these workshops help them because it provides them with new insight and different ways that they can approach situations”.

If you want to attend a future motivation workshop or other offered workshops, visit the Student Success Center for more information.