Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Faculty Spotlight: Sergio Cabral

Cabral has been a dedicated faculty member at Rio Hondo College for three years.

Photo by Aaron Martinez

Photo by Aaron Martinez

Nicole Garcia, Staff Writer

“Work Hard, stay Humble.” Faculty custodian, Sergio Cabral, 60, is one of many to truly define this quote above. He is always eager to bring a helping hand to Rio Hondo College community.

Three years as a custodian, Cabral had been granted an opportunity to work part-time here at Rio since a year of unemployment after 30 years of textile and paint work. 20 years, he was a supervisor for 25 employees at a company located in Pico Rivera, called L.A. Paints Works INC. Then 10 years at another company, supervisor for 70 employees at another L.A. Paint Textile INC., located in the City of Vernon. Being in control of 10,000 designs, color schemes and rotation of inventory, Cabral made sure that all the fabrics, textiles, and color scheme styles were all set out for delivery.

The 60- year- old enjoys being a part of the Roadrunner family. There are times that will come up that are a little bit rocky, but that does not stop the focused hard worker.

“The students and faculty here are very respectful and friendly. I am very blessed to work with such a good team,” said Cabral. “I am always here when anyone needs something and I will always give them my best of work.”

Cabral is originally from Mexico, and came to America in his twenties. He did not know a  word of English, but has learned little by little from friends, family and coworkers. He got his high school and a year of college education done in Mexico. He was invited for an interview to UCLA family obligations and work prevented him from going.

He has four children and grandchildren, which he helps take care of during his free time, and one chihuahua named peanut. Watching sports, doing usual house fixtures and being at home with family is a normal day for Cabral.

He also enjoys sports. “I love to play racket ball with my family and friends on the weekend, I have taken up this hobby about 25 years ago,” said Cabral.

No matter the time, day, or place, he is very persistent and loyal to his work. He said when it comes to his work he is very focused and will always stick to his word. A dream of his is to to travel to Europe and see a soccer game. Living a happy, stable, healthy life is what Cabral wants to be known for.

“There are people you meet in life that create a positive impact, and Sergio is one of them. He makes himself available for inquiries, takes care of our lab, but best of all he has become a part of the El Paisano family. He is genuinely one of a kind,” Professor Wendy Carrera stated.

Sergio, thank you for all you have done for Rio Hondo College, keep up the good work.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •