Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Spotlight: Broadcast News

Rio+Hondo+student+Eric+Mu%C3%B1oz+covering+the+MUSD+corruption+in+Montebello%2C+regarding+the+money+loss+and+the+city+and+teachers+getting+pink-+slipped.+
Rio Hondo student Eric Muñoz covering the MUSD corruption in Montebello, regarding the money loss and the city and teachers getting pink- slipped.

Photo courtesy of www.YouTube.com/USER/ERICMUNOZREPORTER

Ashley Lopez, Staff Writer

The number one quality to have in any demanding career field is experience. A career in broadcast is no exception, which is why it is important to start now.  The Rio Hondo broadcast program makes it possible to gain experience before moving on to the next step.   

Students who intend on pursuing a career in radio and television are encouraged to join Rio Hondo broadcast program by joining Journalism Communication Public Relations (JCPR) and enroll in JOURN 147 Broadcast News. The program is designed to allow students to practice the craft of broadcast and gain crucial skill sets that they are expected to know when they transfer.

Students enrolled in the broadcast news class are automatically members of JCPR. The club compliments the broadcast news class offered at Rio Hondo throughout the semester.  A podcast option is also available.

“Since I joined broadcast I’ve learned a great deal, mostly video production, how to conduct interviews, and how to keep calm under pressure,” says Eric Muñoz, director of El Paisano News.

Each student gets assigned to write, research, conduct interviews, produce, and edit their footage.

The class is instructed by Professor Wendy Carerra, who has years of experience in broadcast. “The goal is to have a TV station to produce a weekly show,” said Carerra.

The Rio Hondo broadcast program started as a small club with only a few students, then worked its way to an actual classroom. The student produced broadcasts are primarily school related but often ventures out to local news, crime, and world news.

“This small passion project was started by Wendy and I has really evolved into a well-oiled machine. It’s still a young project, and still working the kinks out. But having someone like Professor Wendy around, whose journalism background focused a great deal on broadcast news. I know the sky’s the limit,” says Eric Muñoz.  

Valuable experience is gained by running projects and working as a team to generate the best results. Students enrolled in this program feel like the class has helped them evolve and grow confidence.

The class will continue into Fall 2017 semester.  

“My experience with broadcasting has been truly a growing experience in all of the best ways. It was never easy because I have never been guy that is comfortable in front of the camera and it forced me countless times out of my comfort zone. My ability to have discussion, discourse, has tremendously improved,” says Jake Laurell, who is currently enrolled in broadcast.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •