Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

It’s Over: The End or New Beginning?

Though President Elect Trump has incited controversy throughout his campaign, he still acquired the necessary 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency.

Illustration by Aaron Martinez/ El Paisano

Zachary Mejia, Political Correspondent

President-elect Donald Trump has clinched the 2016 presidential election after a tight battle to the last minute with his opponent, Hillary Clinton. His victory marks the closest election since Bush v Gore, and like the 2000 elections, third party candidates played a key role in the outcome.

While many democrats and independents are disappointed with the results, president Barack Obama expressed a heartfelt message to ease their concerns, “While progress isn’t guaranteed, each of us has the power to choose our path… and remember no matter what happens the sun will rise in the morning, and America will still be the greatest country on earth.”  

Trump will be the oldest first term president when he is sworn in as the 45th president of the United States Jan 20. Despite the fact that his campaign has repeatedly questioned the mental competency and health of Clinton, his age has been overshadowed by his peculiar campaign.  

Trump already has an itinerary for his first day as president, designated as the “First Day Project.” Trump intends to revoke over twenty-five of President Obama’s one hundred and ninety-five executive orders that most republicans perceive to be “unconstitutional executive orders,” according to “The New Yorker” writer Evan Osnos, that allegedly include the Paris climate change agreement, Obamacare, environmental regulations, and gun measures that many conservatives perceive as excessive. Based on his assertions during presidential debates and at rallies and conferences, Trump would also reinstate controversial forms of enhanced interrogation used by the CIA.  

He further plans to discontinue Obama’s Syrian Refugee Program under the pretense that refugees from Syria pose a danger to American security. The program has ushered ten thousand Syrians into the United States since Obama created the initiative last fall. The discontinuation is one of the first steps that Trump plans to take to handle terrorism and immigration.

Trump plans to enact his immigration plan and start the projected $5 billion construction plan for his wall immediately after he is sworn in. He would do this by supporting the amendment of a federal financial regulation rule that would classify money transfer companies as financial institutions, which would ensure that “…no immigrant would be able to send money outside the United States unless they show documentation proving their legal status,” according to a “PolitiFact” report by Miriam Valverde. It has been confirmed by experts that Mexico receives $24 billion per year from people in the United States. While Trump claims that most of the money is from undocumented workers, it is debated by experts if that is true.

Trump’s rationale is by freezing the revenue that Mexico gets from undocumented workers in America, the country will either suffer the monumental yearly loss of revenue or make a one time payment of $5-10 billion.    

Trump’s presidency will ensure the appointment of conservative justices open to overturning the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, that established a constitutional right to abortion, and defending the 2010 Citizens United decision, which allowed business to donate political money as individuals and authorizes super PACs to raise a limitless amount of funds.

Although he’s been dodgy on the controversial gay marriage ruling, several major gay rights advocates, news outlets, and the Human Rights Campaign believe, based on past comments and positions, that Trump will also consider appointing judges that would challenge national gay marriage rights; which would be in line with the Republican Party policy.  

While the ascension of the Trump Presidency leaves much for concern and even more uncertainty, the country is undoubtedly entering a new political era, where the term “politics” will be redefined.   

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •