Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Rams’ number one pick Jared Goff to get first start against the Miami Dolphins

Jared+Goff+will+finally+get+the+chance+to+showcase+his+skills+in+front+of+the+Los+Angeles+crowd+when+the+Rams+host+the+Dolphins+this+Sunday.+
Jared Goff will finally get the chance to showcase his skills in front of the Los Angeles crowd when the Rams host the Dolphins this Sunday.

Photo courtesy of Rams.com

Photo courtesy of Rams.com

Ramon Alvarado, Staff Writer

After getting no playing time in the first nine games of the season, the Rams have finally decided to start their number one overall pick, Jared Goff. Goff, who had a brilliant career at the collegiate level, will get the chance to showcase his skills for the first time in the pros this Sunday when the Rams faceoff against the Dolphins at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

The Rams have got off to a decent start this season with a record of 4-5, but they still rank last in points per game, scoring about 15 per contest. A lot of the problems the Rams have had to deal with this season are due to their inability to get their pass game going. Case Keenum, who has started the first nine games for LA, has thrown more interceptions (11) than touchdowns (9) this year.

Despite the poor play of Keenum, Rams’ head coach Jeff Fisher has been hesitant to put in Goff. Fisher has finally given in, however, and has announced that Goff will start for the Rams in their week 11 matchup against the Miami Dolphins.

Goff will have his hands full with Miami’s defense this Sunday. Not only do they have a great pass rush, but in their last quarter of football played against the San Diego Chargers, the Dolphins picked off veteran star quarterback Philip Rivers four times. The four interceptions helped Miami overcome a deficit and lead them to the victory. With the pressure the Dolphins put on the Chargers’ veteran Rivers last week, the Miami defense might be licking their chops as they get a chance at fresh meat with Rams’ rookie quarterback Goff.

It’ll be intriguing to see how well Goff deals with a top NFL defense in his first career start. His first start will also be on quite a big stage; the game will take place at the Los Angeles Coliseum and will undoubtedly be full of Rams fans that have been eager to watch Goff perform. If Goff lets the pressure of making his first pro start in front of thousands of fans get to him, he’ll be in for a long day against the ferocious Dolphins’ defense.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •