Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

The Benefits of Marijuana

Courtesy of google

Courtesy of google

Courtesy of google

Rick Loza, Staff Writer

In 1996, California became the first state to legalize the use of marijuana for medical objectives. According to lifehacks.org, the U.S. Government sponsored a study done by the Institute of Medicine that uncovered beneficial properties of marijuana. As a result, they conducted studies that proved that marijuana can be beneficial for medical conditions, like nausea caused from chemotherapy.

Studies shown on the website include some of the medical benefits of marijuana. Here are eight facts, listed below.

1. Marijuana slows and stops cancer cells from spreading.

Cannabidiol can turn off a gene called id-l that stops the spread of cancer according to a study found by the Journal of Molecular Cancer.

I find this to be true because I read numerous stories from a page on social media and called “Natural Cures Not Medicine,” which discusses marijuana reducing cancer cells and natural remedies that help individuals with their health problems.

1. Helps with Crohn’s disease.

The Cannabinoids helps control bacteria inside the stomach.

According to bionews-tx.com, studies have shown that smoking marijuana reduced Crohn’s disease symptoms in 10 out of 11 patients, and five patients were cured from the disease. There are various articles written on the subject that prove the validity of this study.

1. Decreases the symptoms of Dravet syndrome.

The cannabidiol in the plant interacts with the brain cells to quiet the excessive activities in the brain that causes seizures.

I recently watched a documentary by the name of “Weed: What You Don’t Know,” and it tells the story of a little girl who has Dravet syndrome, and after taking marijuana pills it reduced her seizures from 300 a week to just one every seven days after using marijuana.

The link to the documentary video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEp-KkCOq_o

1. Decreases anxiety.

According to apa.org normal children today report more anxiety than child psychiatric patients in the 1950’s. While more individuals are being treated for anxiety and various other mental disorders, several holistic and non-holistic doctors have tried marijuana as an alternative method to reduce anxiety and have found it beneficial. I asked a few individuals suffering from mental disorders if smoking marijuana helps and they agreed with the findings.

1. Helps reverse the carcinogenic effects of tobacco and improves lung health.

a study published in Journal of the American Medical Association found that only marijuana smokers showed an increase in lung capacity compared to tobacco smokers who lost their lung functions.

I think that if an individual wants to smoke, he or she should smoke something that has benefits, like marijuana, rather than something that would only cause lung cancer, like cigarettes and cigars.

1. Helps veterans suffering from PTSD

According to businessinsider.com, the Department of Health and Human Services recently signed a proposal to study marijuana’s potential as a part of the treatment for veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I think this is a good thing, because a lot veterans suffer from PTSD due to gruesome flashbacks of the wars they fought in. Marijuana can ease their anxiety and stress disorder.

1. Controls other types of muscle spasms

Muscle spasms respond to marijuana by calming the attacks and relaxing the muscles in the body.

I think it’s beneficial for patients with muscle spasms because after watching several videos online regarding muscle spasms I came across this video that mentioned a teenager named Chaz who was diagnosed with diaphragmatic Myoclonus who experienced dramatic improvements after smoking medical marijuana. According to the video, it eased his condition by stopping his hiccups and gave him the ability to talk clearly, whereas his prescribed medication had no affect.

The link for the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlPktEiNjc

1. Protects the brain from concussion and trauma.

An experiment on mice done by the Journal Cerebral Cortex, showed that the use of marijuana lessened the bruising of the brain and helped with healing mechanisms after a traumatic injury.

I think it can work, because I read similar studies that were done for different purposes resulted in researchers’ conclusion that cannabis can provide benefits by protecting the brain.

After reading on the matter, I decided to interview a few people about the benefits of smoking marijuana.

Here are two responses from students regarding the benefits marijuana:

Student A said “It helps people sleep better, gives people a better appetite, helps people that are sick with cancer, cramps, glaucoma and helps people with depression.”

Student B said, “I suffer from a high sympathetic nervous system, therefore, marijuana reduces my anxiety levels, lowers my heart rate and blood pressure. It also helps with relieving joint pain surrounding my knees, as I suffer from arthritis. I can relax, take deep breaths and chill out.”

I believe marijuana should be further researched because it can help individuals suffering from different disorders, whether they are emotional or physical. Although a lot of people may not agree with what I’m saying, and that’s fine, to each their own, I believe some individuals are skeptical because of their upbringing, or how it can be detrimental to them, but in reality everything can be addicting. Even the stuff we enjoy the most like exercise, healthy food, and yes, even water.

There are those who see movies done by hollywood portraying marijuana users as useless “pot smokers,” but not everyone fits the image we’ve been seeing through and through. While there are those who abuse it, there are those who need it.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •