Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Verizon vs New York City

Photo Design By: Luis Gutierrez

Photo Design By: Luis Gutierrez

Luis Gutierrez, Staff Writer

The City of New York is suing Verizon for failure of providing Fios service to every household. They have sued for not completing certain requirements such as fiber to pass all residents in the city by mid 2014, as well not completing certain installments according to officials.

To no one’s surprise, Verizon isn’t happy about all of this. A spokesperson talking to Technica claims that they have met the terms and agreement to its fullest capacity. They are calling on the Mayor to help them because certain landlords restrict them from installing fiber internet in their homes. They have proposed to invest an extra billion dollars to New York city to help appease everyone, but it’s only made things more complicated.

Verizon’s main focus revolves around the way they interpret the term “Pass”. They claim that there was never a firm definition of the word’s usage in 2008. But NYC government is using a completely different meaning with the word “Pass” that was being used 9 years ago. Verizon believed it to be meant running fiber network routes for older phone lines. Not a literal effort for everyone in the city. To run fiber they need a much faster router that’s capable of it. But the lawsuit in 2008 states that fiber would be available for everyone in a statement “…Past all of the residence locations in the city.” It’s coming down to the fine print. As well as the way people interpreting it.

Verizon does have a few stronger arguments against the city. One of the strongest being that landlords are not letting allowing them install fiber. As well as the city failing to provide a “Competitively-Neutral” letter to give to landlords. When they are denied the right to install fiber internet.  Also due to the high number of people who want Fios, but can’t get it because of their location. However, there is some evidence that suggest maybe they aren’t telling the full story.  NYC has attacked them in the past focusing them to bulk up service or even exclusive agreements. Currently the lawsuit is anyone’s game and could go in either way.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •