Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Steve Bannon Now Sits Permanently on the National Security Council, Unbeknownst to Trump

Steve Bannon, White House Chief Strategist.

Photo Courtesy of Foxnews

Photo Courtesy of Foxnews

Jake Laurell, Reporter

In the wake of President Trump’s first few busy weeks comes an executive order that places Stephen K. Bannon, White House Chief Strategist, in a seat on the National Security Council.

President Trump signed off on the order without fully understanding that Bannon would be filling this post, according to The New York Times’ recent report as of February 5. Trump was reportedly upset because the new president wanted a full briefing in the appointment process for his newly appointed White House chief strategist and senior counselor to the president.

Chief of Staff Rience Priebus established a 10-point checklist for any subsequent initiatives that need an approval from the White House Communications Department. Priebus also stated to both Bannon and Trump that the administration needed to rethink and restructure its communication and policy in regards to the leaks about the orders the Times reported.

Bannon, self described as an economic nationalist, but popularly known as an “alt-right” white nationalist, was born in Virginia. Bannon served seven years in the Navy, and had a career in investment banking at Goldman Sachs. Bannon also had a presence in the media spotlight for founding the infamous news organization Breitbart, and had the position of Chief Executive during the President’s election campaign. Prior to his appointment in the Trump administration, Bannon has no previous role in government nor foreign policy.

Despite this, the administration maintains that he is a perfect pick for Trump’s cabinet. “He is a former naval officer. He’s got a tremendous understanding of the world and the geopolitical landscape that we have now,” White House press secretary Sean Spicer told ABC’s “This Week” last month.

While the administration is confident in Bannon’s ability, detractors have voiced their concern on his merits and politics.

Having Mr. Bannon as a voting member of the principals committee will have a negative influence on what is supposed to be candid, nonpartisan deliberation,” stated Michael Glenn Mullen, former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in a op-ed published by The New York Times, Monday, February, 6.

Mullen, who served under both presidents of Obama and Bush from 2007 to 2011 spoke of his disapproval of some of Trump’s actions but mainly focused on Trump’s decision to place Bannon on the National Security Council.

This comes right after President Trump’s recently hotly contested orders and as widespread backlash and unrest continue amongst the president’s first weeks in office. Trump’s wildcard executive orders range from stopping immigrants and refugees from seven predominantly Islamic countries, negotiating our NAFTA trade agreement terms, dismantling the TPP trade deal, to signing off on ordering the revitalization of our infrastructure in America.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •