Rio Hondo College Newspaper

El Paisano

Student Spotlight: Crystian Mendoza

Rio Hondo student Crystian Mendoza in front of the El Paisano newsroom at Rio Hondo.

Photo by Aaron Martinez/ El Paisano

Nicole Garcia, Staff Writer

Hardwork and determination will get you where you want to go, it just does not come overnight or by magic. This is why current Sports Editor of El Paisano Newspaper, Crystian Mendoza, 24, holds these two traits to heart.

Mendoza ends his journey at Rio Hondo this Spring, a journey that began a few years ago. He will be graduating with an AA in Journalism and an AA in Print Media. The 24- year-old will be transferring to the University of La Verne in Fall 17’ and furthering his education in any Journalistic or Print Media opportunities that may come his way.

“I have switched my major a of couple times before – criminal justice and fire tech – reassuring myself that journalism was the right fit,” Mendoza said. “I also have an interest in broadcasting for sports productions or TV productions too, and hopefully can take classes at La Verne for that.”

In Fall of 2015, Mendoza took Newspaper Production I and ended up getting an offer to become sports editor. With a lot of consideration, he took the position. He ended up liking the art of writing, and has been consistently bettering himself as a writer and journalist.

“John Francis was my advisor when I started out, and as an editor I was very nervous and had no clue what to do. I had to learn Q.U.A.R.K layout and be prepared with just printouts,” Mendoza said. “With Carrera as my advisor I feel more confident, not just because I had a little bit knowledge of the newspaper, but of the feedback Carrera would give to us. Whether it was support or criticism, it made, not just me, but others better future journalists.”

Mendoza describes himself as a quiet, mellow, observant type of guy. In his free time he likes to relax and be lazy, since free time is rare for the full- time, employed  student.

“What I aspire to be is a journalist somewhat like American journalist Edward Snowden. I feel like journalism is getting out important information.” said Mendoza.

With a month of the semester left, graduation around the corner, and supportive people behind him, we wish Crystian Mendoza well and hope to see him soon on the big screen.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •